This page details the PDF build of the boost documentation.
Currenly builds in doc/pdf should be stable when XEP is used as the FO processor.
Downloads of PDF's for the last release are available from sf download page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/.
SVN commit 51104 to trunk provides the basic support: improved fo.xsl stylesheet, tweaked individual Jamfiles so they find their images etc when being built as a PDF, and adds doc/pdf/Jamfile.v2 to build all boost libraries that can be as individual PDF's.
The following default build options have been added to the fo.xsl stylesheet customisation layer:
- No indent on body text (we need all the horrizontal space we can get for code blocks).
- Left and right page margins 0.5in - a little small, but as above we need all the space we can get.
- Paper type is A4 - it's an ISO standard, and just a little smaller than US letter, so should print OK on both.
- Draft mode is turned off so we don't go after draft.png just in case.
- SVG graphics are used for admonishments.
- Default path to search for images (if not overridden in a library's Jamfile) is the SVN repository.
- Currently only RenderX's XEP FO processor will build all the docs correctly, Apache FOP is *still* not mature enough :-(
- Error handling in FO processors is currently verging on non-existant, it's currently necessary to check the build log manually for missing images and suchlike. Detecting truncation/overflow of content requires manual proof reading of the PDF's which is clearly impractical for "all of Boost".
- 51104: Initial version of PDF Build.
- 51133: Fix Bimap image DPI's.
- 51142: Fix Thread lib Jamfile.
- 51147: Fix Boostbook XML so it generates valid FO.
- 51218: Fix Quickbook markup in Optional and Numeric/Convertion libraries.
- 51260: Fixes Boostbook install targets.
- 51261: Adds external link rewrite capabilities.
- 51284: Fixes PDF naming, fixes external links, adds more libraries.
- 51328: Update FO formatting to improve table formatting and allow long lines of code to wrap with hyphenation.
- 51332: Update FO formatting (take 2!) to improve table formatting and allow long lines of code to wrap with hyphenation.